There are a number of different missions that are carried out by the various branches of the federal government and military but one of the common denominators that makes a mission successful is good planning and support. One of the key support personnel for every mission is the medic, or in the case of the United States Coast Guard, the rescue swimmer. The mission of the rescue swimmer is to maintain proper training and conditioning to assist persons in distress in the maritime environment, including search and rescue operations and to provide pre-hospital life support to rescued individuals. The following is a list of the medical equipment that a rescue swimmer uses to help others survive disaster in the water.
U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer
Emergency Medical Equipment
The medical bag of choice for the U.S. Coast Guard is the Aeromed EMS Pack by Thomas Transport Packs.
Packed inside of the Aeromed Pack are these items in the mandatory configuration:
COMPARTMENT 1 – Outside:
- Blood Pressure Cuff
- Pen Light
- Latex Gloves
- SAM Splint
- Airway Kit, Oropharyngeal
- Airway Kit, Nasalpharyngeal
- Pocket Mask
- Ace Wrap
- Band-Aid, Adhesive
- Charcoal, Activated
- Glucose, Oral
- Syrup of Ipecac
- Bulb Syringe
- Cord Clamps
- Umbilical Tape
- Battle Dressing, Small
- Battle Dressing, Med.
- Battle Dressing, Large
- Bandage, Gauze
- Water Gel, Burn Kit
- Petroleum Gauze
- Sponges, Surgical, 4×4
- Cravat, Bandage
- Plastic Bag
- Adhesive, Tape, 2″
- Adhesive, Tape, 1
- Thermometer 94-108F and/or Electronic Ear Canal Thermometer
- Ball Point Pen
In addition to the medical bag, the following items make up the remainder of the rescue swimmer emergency medical kit located on board the helicopter:
- Bag-Valve Mask by Life Support Products
- Resuscitator, Oxygen by Life Support Products
- Laerdal Suction Kit V-Vac by Dyna Med Inc.
- Cylinder, Oxygen “D” Size M-22 by Life Support Products
- Antishock Trousers
- Traction Splint
- Cervical Collars
- Medevac Board by Lifesaving Systems Corp.
- Medevac Report Form (CG-5214)
- Victims/Casualty Hypothermia Bag by Wiggy’s Inc.
- Automatic External Defibrillator (AED): Heartstream Forerunner Model E01 including Semi-Rigid Carrying Case, DP5 Extra Pads, Data Card (30 Mins. ECG & Event) and BT1 Battery Pack
- Current EMT Text (Currently used by USCG EMT School)
Reference: Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Swimmer Manual, COMDTINST M3710.4B, 28 JUL 00